- Essentially a small-scale power grid which can provide power to an entire community / small townships / villages etc. Microgrids typically consist of renewable energy generation like solar and wind, plus energy storage and conversion systems.
- Microgrid system works autonomously so it requires a complex control system to regulate the operation of microgrid.
- Implementation of microgrid can be done using the grid-tie inverter (GTI) which converts direct current (DC) into an alternating current (AC) suitable for injecting into an electrical power grid. Microgrid with GTI can transferring power to or from grid.
Energy Management System (Microgrid Technology)
- LOCAL electrical energy management system: with scope over, say, 0.5-5 sq.km. Objectives: clean energy, economy, autonomy.
- Variety of energy sources to be accommodated: solar, wind, CNG, biogas, microhydel or any other; the only necessary condition being to follow a common set of standards.
- Battery energy storage, suitably sized.
- Centralized supervision & control (the system being on the small side).
- Design goals: Safety, reliability, adaptability, ease of use.
Salient Feature of the PRISM
- PRISM is the intelligent power system which includes various smart technologies like renewable sources, ICT, automation etc.
- PRISM is a group of interconnected loads and distributed energy resources within clearly defined electrical boundaries that acts as a single controllable entity with respect to the state grid.
- To construct a PRISM the entire system should be modified from utility to consumer side even the construction.
- Focus on a standardized approach to renewable energy technologies and transformational PRISM construction.
- PRISM can connect and disconnect from the grid to enable it to operate in both grid connected or island mode.
R&D on Microgrid Technology
- Development and Transformation of Microgrid Technology into the intelligent, robust energy delivery system by providing significant reliability and security benefits.
- Optimization of Integration methods of renewable energy into the microgrid for sustainability.
- To study full-scale development, field demonstration, experimental performance evaluation of frequency and voltage control methods under various operation modes.
- IIT Hyderabad, GUNI, NISE
- Research proposal entitled “Project for Research & Installation of Smart Microgrid (PRISM)” is under preparation for submission to MNRE, GoI.
- Several such local microgrids will eventually be needed across the campus. Smaller microgrids will not have the high-voltage infrastructure link.
- Each local microgrid has power lines and also a high-speed communication link. Initially each local microgrid may be limited to, say, 200 KVA.
- Not all sources may be ‘smart’, in the sense of making use of the status and control functions of the communication protocol.